Abington Art Center
Abington Art Center is an art center built in 1939, and located in Abington Township. The center resides within Alverthorpe Manor and the surrounding 27-acre grounds that were formerly the residence of Lessing J. Rosenwald and his family.
The art center features a studio school, innovation center, exhibition galleries and a sculpture park. The building itself features a vintage elevator from the 1930s.
The Abington Art Center was started in 1965 as the Old York Road Art Guild, by a group of women who believed in the "benefit of cultural enrichment for individual and community life to be derived from creative artistic expression", the guild's educational elements were brought under a separate non-profit entity called Abington Art Center.
On Christmas Day 1969, a rare book and print collector, Lessing J. Rosenwald and his wife Edith, donated their estate, Alverthorpe Manor, to the Abington community for the purpose of allowing residents to gather for cultural and recreational purposes. Shortly afterwards, the organization appointed its first paid director and the guild formally ended.
Call us at (610) 500-3637 or reach out